Home

Written by: Katelyn Macintosh, Sociology

Our last morning in Oslo started with a bittersweet feeling and a hint of excitement about returning home. The day began bright and early at 3:45 am, which can be challenging as rising just before the sun is always a bit of a struggle. I was extremely grateful for our decision to take the shuttle to the airport. My bag felt full of bricks, and the thought of hauling it to the bus station was terrifying. The shuttle seemed like a minor miracle. Everyone in the group felt this because I had one of the lighter bags. Some other people's bags were almost as big as their persons, so I'm not sure how they did it; they must have super strength. As we boarded the plane to Copenhagen, I felt a pang of sadness leaving beautiful Norway behind, especially Oslo. But at the same time, I was excited to head home. Norway, you've been fantastic, but it's time to get back to reality.

The flight home

We found ourselves with a four-hour layover in Copenhagen. The next leg of the adventure included a lengthy eight-hour flight. I felt a wave of fatigue wash over me as soon as we took off. I was exhausted from the exciting and eventful days I'd had, and it was difficult for me to stay awake. I tried to distract myself with in-flight movies and a captivating book but eventually succumbed to the embrace of sleep. Despite the uncomfortable position and the airplane engines' constant drone, I got a few hours of sleep, albeit it was far from restful. We arrived in Toronto at a bustling airport, and my relief was short-lived as my bag handle decided to fall apart, making the return trip even more challenging. After much struggle, I finally managed to get my luggage onto a shuttle home. During the ride, our group chatted, shared laughs, and eventually dozed off, exhausted but happy as we neared Nipissing University.

Gathering our luggage at Pearson Airport

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, I arrived home. Dropping my bags at the door, I made a beeline for my bedroom. I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and contentment when my head hit the pillow. The whirlwind adventure had ended, and I was back in the familiar surroundings of home. I almost instantly crashed into a deep sleep, grateful for the incredible journey and comfort of my bed.

During this trip, I learned a lot about myself, the incredible group I had the opportunity to travel with, and everything about environmental justice. I discovered a new dietary delight known as brown cheese, which, despite its alarming name, turned out to be quite interesting. To be honest, it's like the messiah of cheeses that my professor, Manuel, would probably build a shrine to if he could. I also discovered that I may not have the worst sense of direction in the group, which surprised me. Who knew I could find my way around without using Google Maps? As an asthmatic, I realized how important it was to always have a puffer on hand while hiking because my lungs would occasionally decide to audition for a horror film.

Manuel questioning his life choices after tasting brown cheese

But all jokes aside, I learned a lot about myself on this trip. I realized that I am more self-sufficient than I had previously thought. Travelling abroad has increased my confidence in public transportation, managing dietary restrictions, and overcoming obstacles. I realized I didn't have to be constantly concerned about my home, family, and three jobs. This trip taught me to accept new experiences without hesitation. Socially, I discovered the joy of meeting new people and the simple pleasure of sharing stories and laughing over a drink. This trip taught me the importance of camaraderie and connecting with others, despite my usual preference for alone time as a social introvert. I made new friends, who enriched my experiences.


Educationally, the lectures, museums, and locals gave me a wealth of knowledge. From the ecological implications discussed in seminars to the historical insights gained from museum visits, I encountered a rich blend of academic and practical knowledge. These experiences deepened my understanding of eco-anxiety and provided tangible project examples. I faced fears head-on, from biking through the city to hiking challenging trails, and each time I emerged stronger and more confident. Looking back on this journey, I am eternally grateful for every opportunity. The insights I've gained, the friendships I've formed, and the personal growth I've experienced are invaluable. I hope to travel again and am considering spending a semester in Norway for my master's program. This journey has been transformative and profoundly enriched my academic pursuits and personal development. This trip was not just academic, but also a journey of self-discovery and understanding eco-anxiety. I return home with memories, knowledge, and spirit for new adventures. And perhaps most importantly, with a suitcase full of gluten and dairy-free snacks.

Out in Oslo

For more photos and content, follow us on Instagram: @tilenorway2024. 

#NipissingU 

#GlobalskillsCA

#nu.artsci

#nusutalks

#nusu

#NipissingU.alum

#dntolso

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day to Explore

The Relocation to Breivoll Farm

Pre-Departure: Packing and Unpacking for Norway