Good morning Breivoll Farm!!

Written by: Holly Gregory, Child and Family Studies

This morning was a rush! I woke up at 9:40 am to read a message from Manuel that we were meeting at 10:00 am to go kayaking. I rushed around and made it down to the water just in time to meet Glenn there with all the kayaks out. Our ever-so-nice friend Glenn showed a small group of us how the kayaks work and how to use them. Once it was time to get in the water it started to rain, then it turned into a heavy downpour!! At that moment, there were a few of us already in the water and some of us still on the dock. Those on the dock ran for shelter.

Glenn, Manuel, Natalya, Atlas, Jess, and I were the few who were in the kayaks in the heavy rain. It made the experience just that much more intense. We went for a little trip southward on the fjord and then back north to the boat shed. Once we were back by the boat shed, Manuel and Glenn demonstrated the buddy rescue technique for when someone falls into the water. Manuel was a brave man and fell into the water from the kayak and demonstrated the technique with the guidance of Glenn. Then Glenn had to leave us to get on with his busy workday. The group put back all the equipment and then had some fun! I went up to the top deck; Atlas and Manuel stayed on the main level, and Jess recorded us jumping into the ocean!! This by far has been one of the most memorable times of the trip for me. 


Jumping into the ocean

All smiles after the jump

As the day went on a group of us walked to the store down the road to get some food and groceries, while others went into Oslo. Some remained on the farm and did their own thing, and some went kayaking a little later. I spent some time outside on my own soaking up the beautiful sun and watching a group of high school students having fun by the water. I wonder how different the education system is between Norway and Canada. I admire how much the students get to be outdoors.


Kayaking later in the afternoon


While I spent time alone sitting on the rocks having the sun on me, it just gave me a sense of home and warmth. It was very relaxing, and it reminded me of why I love the outdoors and what it has to offer. Being in the water also made me feel at home and connected to Mother Earth.

As the day went on the group received a message from Manuel about the chance to go out on Tore's boat. I of course was all over that. So, five of us got to go out on the boat and enjoyed seeing the beautiful landscape from the water. We arrived back in time for dinner. We were feeling very thankful for such great hosts. This is an experience I will never forget. Today was my favorite day of the trip.

The view from Tore's boat

At the end of the night, a group of us hung out in the hammock room where we shared stories, laughs, and unforgettable smiles. This was a place we all enjoyed. It was a relaxing space that fit all of us comfortably.

For more photos and content, follow us on Instagram: @tilenorway2024. 

#NipissingU 

#GlobalskillsCA

#nu.artsci

#nusutalks

#nusu

#NipissingU.alum

#dntolso


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day to Explore

The Relocation to Breivoll Farm

Pre-Departure: Packing and Unpacking for Norway